1) Give me a pairing.
2) Give me an AU setting.
3) I will write you a three-sentence fic.
This is so well-timed. I was JUST thinking how much I’d like to do some three sentence (or thereabouts) fics.
So send me stuff. Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Hannibal, Pacific Rim, Maleficent… And whatever else I post about here.
minorearth tagged me, and then I wrote up the answers at work today on the back of my calendar.
- Your name.
- Your url/handle.
- Your blog title.
- Your favourite colour.
- Your crush/significant other’s name.
- CAPSLOCK SOMETHING.
- Your favourite band.
- Your lucky/favourite number.
- Your favourite drink.
- Tag your buddies!
Tagging: guerrin brewngames serindrana shadowfell-sims
And in case you need a link for #6: womenofda
Boo to the answer I just sent privately instead of posting. I’ll just put it here.
mireliambar sent Shale for the DA meme.
So, earliest memory:
I think my earliest memory is of waking up in the middle of the night screaming after a particularly bad nightmare. (I had horrible dreams about the death of Bambi’s mom after I saw the movie.)
However I don’t exactly know if that came before a few other memories I have from about the same time period between ages 3 and 4. I also remember: another dream (one about a frog in a tower), the time my dad and I danced around the living room to Sting on the radio, and the time I got chicken pox from my best friend who lived across the street.
Dragon Age Themed Ask!
- Put a name in my inbox~
- Warden: Have you ever been given an important task you thought was too much for you?
- Alistair: Describe something someone could do to make your heart melt.
- Leliana: Has anyone who used to be close to you betrayed you?
- Zevran: Have you ever pretended nothing was wrong when it really was?
- Morrigan: Describe a friendship with someone you didn't think you would befriend.
- Wynne: What is your definition of a good life?
- Mabari: Tell us about the dearest pet you've ever had.
- Sten: Do you believe people have a destiny that is set in stone?
- Oghren: What do you get like when you're drunk? (Or sleep-deprived?)
- Shale: What is your earliest memory?
- Loghain: Do you always do what you feel is right, no matter the consequences?
- Hawke: Name your three best friends.
- Carver: Have you ever felt overshadowed by someone?
- Bethany: How important is fitting in to you?
- Anders: What are you most passionate about?
- Isabela: Have you ever committed a crime?
- Fenris: What irks you?
- Merrill: Do you like history? If so, what culture is most fascinating?
- Varric: What is your favorite fairy tale?
- Aveline: Career plans?
- Sebastian: Do you think revenge is a reasonable solution?
- Leandra: How important is family to you?
- Gamlen: Have you ever tried to hide a big mistake you made?
- Cullen: Describe an unrequited crush you have/had.
what are five things you see on your dash sometimes that immediately remind you of me
Inbox me: If we cosplayed a duo, who would we be?
5 Things About Me
@skybound2 tagged me to post five facts about myself, and then to tag ten others, so….
- I have eight siblings but none of them share both the same mom AND dad as me. I’m an only child in that sense, the oldest to one set of siblings, the youngest to another, and somewhere in the middle to a third.
- I double-majored in college: Fine Arts and Graphic Design, yet I barely even draw anymore. (I went with art because I was so convinced I’d never make it in the fields I really wanted to go into and art & design was the next closest thing to my heart.)
- I’m about to be one of the new AD&T Liaisons for OTW & AO3.
- My upbringing was SUPER SUPER Christian. LIke, not Westboro Baptist, but Baptist and about as close as you can get without being in the news constantly. It wasn’t a cult, but it might as well have been. (They tried to exorcise me once.)
- I have official certification from the Yarn Council of America to teach knitting at a beginner, intermediate and advanced levels. And I did teach for about 5? years… (sounds about right).
I don’t normally tag people, but I’m gonna this time. shadowfell-sims uzisuzuki brewngames cypheroftyr minorearth guerrin serindrana … that’s not ten, but it’ll do.
10 Questions Meme from CypherofTyr
Cypher tagged me in the 10 questions meme. I’m lazy about rules and stuff so I’m just posting the questions she asked me and my answers. Here’s the questions she asked me:
1. Best travel story?
The time uzisuzuki and I ghost-hunted at the Omni in Boston. Good times.
2. Worst travel story?
Getting the flu the last few days I was in South Padre Island when I was sixteen, and being sick during the 17 hour drive home.
3. If you could live in a fictional world for a week, which one would you inhabit?
A week? Man, I don’t know. I guess it depends… do I have to be a normal person in this fictional world, or do I get to know what’s going on/be super-powered and/or magical? Because really, most of the fictional worlds I enjoy watching and/or reading about are in the middle of some war — so that’s not really the time to visit. And if I don’t get to be magical or superpowered, what’s the point? You know?
Maybe I’d just want to live on the Enterprise — or maybe not the Enterprise (because they’re always getting into trouble) but maybe another starship. Because replicators and holodecks and yeah.
Or… you know, anywhere I get to be a vampire… or otherwise immortal (even if it’s for a week).
Biggest pet peeve?
People who don’t hold open doors or elevators for people right behind them. I mean, you don’t have to like hold open the door for everyone, but the kind thing to do is make sure the person behind you has the door in their hand before letting go of it.
Do you have a nemesis?
If you could chuck wood like a woodchuck would, would you?
No. That sounds like hard work.
Would you rather fight fifty duck sized horses or one horse sized duck?
Fight? One horse sized duck. Keep? Fifty duck sized horses.
Favorite genre of movie?
Ever met any tumblr friends in real life?
Yes. Although most of them I knew prior to tumblr. (And some of them just live near me so we were friends offline first.) Although not near enough people live near KC to be friends with.
I think minorearth might be the only one I’ve met after knowing her through tumblr. (Although we were LJ friends before, we didn’t get close until after tumblr.)
What is the answer to life, the universe and everything?
TV show/movie/book you absolutely hate and why?
Book? The Crimson Petal and the White. (I hate any book that breaks the fourth wall to actually talk DOWN to me as the reader.)
Can’t think of any tv or movies I actually downright hate — although there’s many I dislike. Maybe brewngames can think of something I have said I hate, because we often have very different tastes in movies and tv.
O.O Okaaaaayyyy. That was unexpected.
Test here if you wanna.
I was tagged by minorearth. I answered for five of these books in an ask meme a month or two ago. So, I’m copy/pasting the info for those. (Also cheating a little by combining a few items from the same author.)
Rules: In a text post, list ten books that have stayed with you in some way. Don’t take but a few minutes, and don’t think too hard — they don’t have to be the “right” or “great” works, just ones that have touched you. Tag ten friends, including me, so I’ll see your list. Make sure you let your friends know you’ve tagged them!
- Amy’s Eyes by Richard Kennedy was a book I read when I was in fifth grade. It’s a book about a girl who is left at a girls home. She has this sailor doll she’s attached to and over time, Amy starts to become a doll herself, and the sailor a real person. The sailor is a sea captain who takes Amy out to sail with him. And the rest of the book is filled with Mother Goose creatures and all this crazy adventure. It’s escapism at it’s finest.
- Kushiel’s Dart by Jacqueline Carey was a book I read in college on the recommendation of a friend. It was the first book of it’s kind I’d ever read. It was a fantasy book that had sex but not romance (not at first at least), and maybe the first piece of fiction I’d read that talks about queer relationships, or kink, without making me feel bad about reading about them. Coming from strict religious background, this was a HUGE revelation for me. (It also helps that I like how the books are written too.)
- Sati and The Midnight Club both by Christopher Pike. Sati is one of his few supposed adult books. Only because it’s about adults instead of teenagers really. What’s important is that it’s a book about God. And cookies. Saying more would spoil it. The Midnight Club on the other hand is one of Christopher Pike’s YA novels. It’s about a group of terminally ill teenagers who get together late at night and tell each other stories. It’s funny and sad and heartbreaking and the stories the kids tell each other are just as important as the story of the teens themselves.
- Palimpsest by Catherynne M Valente. I only read it two, maybe three years ago, but I’ve read it more than once since then because I love it so much. The characters are amazing, the story is unique and it really changed how I think about poetry and prose, and writing in general.
- Fangirl and Eleanor & Park, both by Rainbow Rowell are fantastic novels I read last year and in their own different ways they’ve stuck with me. Fangirl for showing me how the world of fan and remix cultures can look like when it comes to using our fandom passions and channelling them into new works. And though they’re not similar novels necessarily, both Fangirl and Eleanor & Park use interesting storytelling techniques that made me think differently about how to write the stories I want to tell.
- The Burning Times by Jeanne Kalogridis. Confession as Narrative style story about a witch hiding as a nun in medieval France. Historical/Fantasy fiction is one of my favorite genres, and this was one of the first ones I ever read that really made an impression on me.
- The Troy Game (and The Crucible) serieses by Sara Douglass. The entirety of both series are more historical/fantasy fiction and are some of my forever favorites due to the way Douglass weaves present and past, historical and mythological, and in the case of The Crucible series, also religious.
- Cry to Heaven by Anne Rice. The only Anne Rice book I’ve read and enjoyed, and more than that, really loved. There’s all sorts of genre things that hit just right for me in this book that shine despite Rice’s dramatic and verbose style.
- Was by Geoff Ryman. Wizard of Oz times three: past, present, fictional. There is no other way for me to describe this novel. It’s several tales brilliantly told in a single story and will stick with you a long while.
- Eleven Minutes by Paulo Coelho is not a book about love, necessarily, nor is it a story about sex. But it about both of those things and how they can define a person, and what it means when they do. “All my life, I thought of love as some kind of voluntary enslavement. Well, that’s a lie: freedom only exists when love is present. The person who gives him or herself wholly, the person who feels freest, is the person who loves most wholeheartedly.”
Again, choosing favorites hurts me but I will endeavor to do such a thing. (I didn’t mention this last night, but I’ve been making a real effort to keep mythological/religious figures off my lists. They occupy a different space in my head, but would make up a good deal of these lists.)
Superheroes (where it’s important to note that I’m a DC girl):
- Buffy Summers
- Sara Pezzini
- Madame Xanadu
Seriously though, even if I had a top ten, I think a Marvel chick wouldn’t hit until maybe 10? I just… DC/Image/Top Cow/Aspen were my go-tos. Also, it’s important for me to mention that the only reason Zatanna doesn’t make my top five is that while she is, I suppose technically, a superhero type character — I don’t think of her as a SUPERHERO. You know?
If real ones count, Queen Elizabeth I, is four of the five answers with her mother being the fifth. For the sake of FICTIONAL characters, I’ll list five others.
- Queen Anora Mac Tir Theirin
- The Evil Queen/ aka Queen Grimhilde
- The Red Queen (not the Queen of Hearts)
- Sarah Kerrigan (Queen of Blades)
- Wonder Woman
That I’d want to kiss:
In an effort to spread the love (ha!) I’ll pick ONE Dragon Age and ONE Mass Effect character, and we’ll pretend you understand that all of the ladies go on my list somewhere, ‘kay?
- Tara Maclay
- Aria T’Loak
- Lucy Westenra
- River Song
I want to rescue from their horrible narratives:
1-5 Moffat era Doctor Who ladies. *mic drop*
OMG. To be fair these are like asking for the top five favorite hairs on my head. I mean… with the exception of the top two most of them are ridiculously & suddenly subject to change.
- Buffy Summers
- Sara Pezzini
- November Aguilar
- Aveline Vallen
- Rose Tyler (but I really also want to put Donna Noble here too).
- Madeline Madrigal “Ma-Ma”
- Morgan Le Fey
(Honestly my love for female villains knows few bounds. If she’s a woman, and a villain, I’m probably in love with her already. If she’s magical? Sign me up. I cannot stress this enough, I just can.not.)
That I’d invite to a sleepover/dinner party:
(In the perfect world where they’re not going to kill me, and/or each other if I invite them… also, I feel like these invitations would be much better sent in pairs. Consider the first in any pair priority for meme purposes.)
- Maleficent (if you’re having a party and she’s not invited you’re doing it wrong)
- Buffy Summers & Willow Rosenberg
- Isabela & Bethany Hawke
- Harley Quinn & Poison Ivy
- Dee & Hannah (& Betty & Violet)
Who I think deserved better endings (where better doesn’t necessarily mean I’m not okay with the way things ended, but my ending for them is preferable):
- Donna Noble
- Beatrice “Tris” Prior
- Aerith Gainsborough
- Prue Halliwell
TOP 5 FEMALE CHARACTERS MEME
- Send me a number and I'll write out my top 5 fictional women.
- 1 - Protagonists
- 2 - Villains
- 3 - Superheroes
- 4 - Magical Girls
- 5 - Queens/Empresses/Royalty
- 6 - Who are adorable dorks
- 7 - That I'd invite to a sleepover/dinner party
- 8 - That I'd want to go on an adventure with
- 9 - That I'd want to be friends with
- 10 - That I'd want to kiss
- 11 - That I will love till the end of time
- 12 - Who I think deserved better endings
- 13 - I wish had better development/writing
- 14 - I wish had better a love interest(s)
- 15 - I want to rescue from their horrible narratives
What’s A Fic You’d Like To See Me Write?
before 2013 ends inbox me one thing you’ve always wanted to know or say to me and i have to reply to all of them (unless you’re being an asshat)